A Poem I Wrote Many Years Ago - Day 27


Condenses in Drops on Cool Surfaces at Night

Mist-covered slopes
and there you were, 
reflections of sunlight inside. 
A whole shining world
that shimmered and whirled 
with each breath of a floating butterfly 

I reached out to grab, 
the illusion ran, 
splashed-down hiding place in the soil-covered sand. 
A tear imitates, 
but your beauty is gone, 
and the mist cleared by some swift hand. 

Another mist 
and there you slept, 
in the folds of a summer green leaf. 
Joyful reunion 
found you again, 
awash in ecstatic relief. 

Softly cupping 
this new found home, 
I, so gently, lift leaf away. 
Trying to save 
you sunlight-kissed, 
leaf withers and your presence fades. 

Another slope 
and there you are. 
kissing the fragile tulips tip. 
Stealthy approach, 
cautious I kneel 
stare into your great, gleaming depths. 

How to hold you? 
How to touch you? 
How to bring you deep inside? 
Words peter out... 
Silence grows loud... 
Sweet secrets slip soft as they float, flitter, fly. 

Mist-covered hopes 
and the smell of wet spring, 
sit still willing you not to flee. 
Sounds barely heard, 
not even quite words, 
in the silence I hear what you speak.
 
In my silence I hear your heart speak. 

Keep silent my heart, hear her speak. 

Speak.
written 3/18/99 by Jeff Couch

Comments