The Beginning of a Poetry Project - Day 22

So, Poetry.

In honor of Poetry Month and NaPoWriMo I will be reviving my old love of writing poetry. To be honest, I am not in a Poety mood and may republish some old poems, I'll warn you if I do that. Nevertheless, I am going to make an attempt to write several new poems. 

One of the challenges I am presenting myself with is to write in poetry styles that I have not tried before. So I have done a Google Search and come up with a list of poetry styles. The first on my list is:


Petrarch (of sonnet fame)
The Petrarchan Sonnet

I have never written a sonnet before, especially this style. According to some random website (www.tckpublishing.com), the rules go like this.  

  • 2 stanzas
  • Presents an argument, observation, or question in the first 8 lines
  • Turn (or “volta”) between 8th and 9th lines
  • Second stanza answers the question or issue posed in the first
  • Rhyme Scheme: ABBA, ABBA, CDECDE

I don't expect this to be my greatest work, but I do expect it to be fun. Tune in tomorrow to see my attempt.

Comments